How to Apply for an SA Visa
The purpose of a visa on the one hand is to ensure proper screening of applicants so that undesirable persons are not admitted into South Africa and, on the other hand, to facilitate the entry of approved applicants at South African ports of entry. Visas provide immigration officers with the necessary information to ensure that applicants are admitted for the correct purpose and period into the RSA.
Portuguese citizens who are not dual citizens, travelling with Portuguese passports do not require a visa up to 90 days if the intended visit to South Africa is for tourism purposes, business meetings, international trade fairs or conferences.
Consular hours for public attendance are from 09:00 to 12:00, Monday to Thursday, BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT ONLY
For emergencies only (no visa or civic services queries and requests) please call +351 964 151 989
The Embassy does not provide photocopying, printing or fax services to applicants.
Applicants must therefore ensure that they produce photocopies / print-outs together with original personal documents and applications, e.g. passports, identity documents, certificates, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR VISA APPLICATION AT THE SA EMBASSY IN LISBON:
- Incomplete applications are not accepted. Please be sure to fill in all information on the application forms and to produce all the required documents for your application.
- All application forms must be fully filled in digitally or with a black ink pen, and legible handwriting.
- All details provided by the applicant should be in accordance with the documents produced (e.g. name and surname in accordance with passport details).
- Applicants must apply for the visas in person at the South African Embassy in Lisbon and sign the application forms in the presence of an Embassy Official.
- All documents in a foreign language must be translated into English.
- All documents issued by any country other than South Africa or Portugal must be certified by means of an Apostille or – if not party to the Hague Convention - by the Diplomatic representation in Portugal, duly accredited to the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- A Photo booth is available at the Embassy for international standard photographs. (4xphotos = 5 euros, coins only)
- All documents and letters or work contracts must be signed and stamped.
- Only original documents are accepted. Originals must be produced with their respective photocopies.
- The Embassy will only accept South African Police Clearance Certificates issued by the South African Police Service (SAPS).
- Processing time for visas up to 90 days: 10 working days.
- If the applicant must produce outstanding / additional documents, the processing timeframe will be suspended until such documents have been handed in.
TYPES OF VISAS AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTS / FORMS
1. VISITOR'S VISA FOR NATIONALS OF NON-EXEMPT COUNTRIES
2. VISITOR'S VISA FOR MORE THAN 90 DAYS
3. SHORT TERM WORK VISA (UP TO 90 DAYS)
4. SHORT TERM WORK VISA - FILM INDUSTRY
5. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ALL VISAS OVER 90 DAYS
12. VISA TO RESIDE WITH SPOUSE AND WORK
20. FORM - Medical and Radiological